A fresh alternative to mashed potatoes. Swap in spinach with any dark leaf of your choice (watercress works well too).
- 1 small bag new potatoes
- 1 bag fresh spinach OR (same volume of potatoes) frozen spinach
- juice of 1-2 limes (to taste)
- 2-3 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
- drizzle good quality olive oil
- salt & pepper
- sliced spring onions & fresh leaves ( to garnish )
- Boil potatoes until cooked (about 10-15 minutes).
- When cooked (poke a fork into it, it should sink in), throw in your fresh leaves and sliced garlic in for 30 seconds. If using frozen spinach, add it in a few minutes earlier.
- Drain everything, let stand in the colander for a few minutes to let the steam evaporate.
- Put the potato-spinach-garlic mixture back into the pot and half-mash it to a squashed potato consistency (hold off from getting the mixture at all smooth).
- Drizzle with a generous glug of olive oil, and sprinkle in salt & pepper, as well as a squeeze of lime juice. Stir everything in with a large spoon until combined, and adjust the seasoning to taste.
- Garnish with spring onions & fresh leaves.
- Serve warm or cold – both are delicious 🙂