This is a great winter warmer batch cook which uses the seasonal butternut squash, and is super cheap (great for students). Adjust the amount of chilli flakes to your personal taste of spicy.
To make this veggie & vegan: leave out the chicken, and use veg stock or water.
- 1 pack chicken thighs
- 1 butternut squash, skin-on, de-seeded and chopped into rough chunks
- 2-3 onions, peeled and roughly chopped
- 5-6 garlic cloves, whole & peeled
- 3 carrots, skin-on, roughly chopped
- 1 punnet mushrooms, chopped if large
- 1 tin chickpeas
- 750ml stock or water
- 3 tsp ground coriander
- 3 tsp ground cumin
- 4 tsp smoked paprika
- 2 bay leaves
- salt & pepper
- (optional) chilli flakes
(Serves approx 8, depends on how many chicken thighs are in the pack)
- Pre-heat the oven to 150C fan.
- Brown and seal the chicken thighs in a large pot, skin-down side first.
- Add the onions, carrots and butternut squash, garlic and stir.
- Add the coriander, cumin, smoked paprika, bay leaves and chilli flakes. Stir into the chicken and veg and cook out for 5 minutes.
- Pour in the stock (or water) and add the chickpeas and mushrooms. Stir everything up, then pop on a lid and put it in the oven.
- Cook for 1 1/2 hours, then take out of the oven and season to taste. Portion out and serve .
(I ate mine with rice, but fresh bread for soaking up the sauce and/or salad would work great too! Or anything else you fancy.)