Here’s a quick and super easy bake for Halloween 🙂
(I originally wanted to make them marshmallow-filled, but I couldn’t get my hands on any suitable sized/shaped ones for this occasion)
This is just a simple vanilla meringue*, piped and baked at 100C for 40 minutes, then decorated with melted chocolate. I used the end of a chopstick to get those perfect little eyes and mouths, which worked out really well in the end.
*using a ratio of 1:2, egg whites:caster sugar
- 2 large egg whites
- caster sugar (double the amount of the weight of the egg whites)
- vanilla extract/essence
- melted dark/milk chocolate (a few squares should do it; you only need a tiny amount)
(Makes approx 25 ghosts)
- Pre-heat oven to 100C, and line a baking tray with parchment paper.
- Whisk egg whites to stiff peaks.
- Slowly by slowly, add the caster sugar and whisk between additions.
- Keep whisking until glossy, stiff peaks are reached, and the sugar has dissolved (rub some mixture between your fingers. If it feels grainy, keep whisking until smooth).
- Add a drop of vanilla extract, and whisk to combine.
- Pipe kisses onto the lined baking tray.
- Bake for (approximately) 40 minutes.
- Allow to cool gradually – it is best if you turn the oven off, but leave the meringues in there until completely cool.
- Decorate with chocolate, drawing on two eyes and a mouth.