I’ve done this recipe at least 3 times now, and each time I’ve tweaked the recipe a little more and they’ve turned out more and more delicious! Had to share for any other rib/bbq lovers, it’s definitely my go-to recipe if I’m making sweet, sticky ribs at home.
To make this GF: leave out the soy sauce/replace with GF-soy sauce.
- 1.5 – 2 kg rack of ribs *
- Oil of your choice
- 3 tbsp Chinese 5 spice
- Salt and pepper
* I’ve tried this recipe with individual ribs too (pre-sliced) and it’s still good, but nowhere near as intense a flavour, plus you need to drop cooking time dramatically (at least by half) and coating them in the glaze is so much more of a hassle.
- 3 red onions, peeled & roughly sliced
- 3 star anise
- 2 tsp Chinese 5 spice
- 1 carton apple juice
- 6 tbsp hoisin sauce
- 4 tbsp runny honey
- 2 tbsp tomato ketchup
- 2 tbsp rice (wine) vinegar
- Pre-heat your fan oven to 140C.
- Rub the ribs with the oil, 5 spice and salt & pepper, then seal in a foil parcel and slow cook in the oven for 3 hours.
- Meanwhile, make your glaze: fry off the onions and star anise for 10-15 minutes/until the onions are brown and caramelised.
- Add the 5 spice and fry for 2 minutes.
- Ad the rest of the wet ingredients – the apple juice, hoisin sauce, honey, ketchup and vinegar, and cook for 2 minutes.
- Fish out the star anise, then blend the whole sauce with a hand blender until smooth. (If you want it super smooth, put it through a sieve.)
- Cook the sauce down until it is reduced, thick, and sticky (you can decide how far you want to take this here. You can always add more water/apple juice if you think you’ve gone too far). Mine took around 15 minutes.
- After the 3 hours is up, whack the oven up to 200C, or, if you can, transfer the ribs onto a BBQ (this will make marinading the ribs easier, plus will give a beautiful smoky flavour).
- Glaze the ribs with the sauce on both sides, and return to the oven/BBQ, pouring over the glaze every minute.
- After 8-10 minutes, remove from the oven/BBQ and slice them up, then serve immediately!