We had really ripe mangoes at home that needed to be eaten, so this is what came out of that. I used the all-in-one cake method, making this is such an easy recipe. It’s really delicious, and I hope you enjoy it as much as we did 🙂
Update: on making this cake again, I used 2 tins of tinned sliced mangoes (drained weight 250g each) which was just the right amount to cover the bottom of the tin. It was just as delicious as fresh mangoes!
Serves 9 generous portions / 16 small portions
- 1 large mango, sliced into strips
- 200g caster sugar
- 200g self raising flour
- 200g butter
- 3 large eggs
- 2 tsp ground nutmeg
- 2 tsp ground cardamom
- 400ml double cream, whipped to medium peaks
- 1 tsp freshly ground cardamom (incorporated into cream)
- fresh lime zest to decorate
- Pre-heat oven at 175C.
- Place the strips of mango into the bottom of a lined cake tin.
- Throw your flour, butter, eggs, butter, nutmeg and cardamom into a stand-mixer (or into a large bowl), and combine until pale and fluffy.
- Transfer your cake batter into the lined cake tin, being careful not to budge those mangoes out of place, and spread evenly.
- Bake in the oven for 35-40 minutes, or until a skewer comes out clean.
- Serve warm, with a dollop of your cardamom cream and a sprinkling of lime zest (very important! adds a real zing and lift to the whole thing). Enjoy!