Here’s a super easy, quick recipe that feeds many, many mouths in one fell swoop! As ever, this recipe is only a guide – change it up as much as you want, use what you have, especially those almost-expired bits and bobs that have just been lying around for ages. Here’s a one-tray bake, chicken & veg cous-cous!
To make this vegetarian & vegan: remove chicken
- 1-2 courgettes
- 1-2 aubergines
- 1-2 red onions
- 1 pack button mushrooms
- 1/2 bulb garlic, peeled
- 1 pack diced chicken thigh
- vegetable oil
- 5 tbsp paprika
- 1 tbsp cayenne pepper and/or chilli powder
- 3 tbsp ground coriander
- 3 tbsp tumeric
- S & P
- 200g cous-cous
- 200ml boiling water (or stock)
- juice 1 lime
- bunch coriander, chopped (mint would work well too)
- 2 handfuls sultanas (or raisins)
- 1 romaine lettuce (or 1-2 gem lettuces), shredded
(Don’t worry if you don’t have these specific spices, just throw however much and whatever you have in there that you like!)
- Preheat oven to 190C
- Dice all your vegetables into thumb-sized pieces. Cover the veg & chicken in oil & spices.
- Throw your vegetables and chicken into a roasting pan and bake for 40 minutes, turning every 1o minutes.
- After 30 minutes of baking, prepare your cous-cous. Simply pour your boiling water (or stock) over the cous-cous in a bowl, stir, and leave for 10 minutes. Stir with a fork after 10 minutes to fluff it up.
- Combine the vegetables, shredded lettuce, coriander, sultanas, lime juice and cous-cous together in a large bowl, and serve.