Super succulent chicken with a beautiful aroma of garlic and a subtle kick of chilli on a carb-free bed of onions and courgettes, perfect for a small group of friends, or for batch-cooking and sticking in the freezer 🙂 I served mine with rice to give it some bulk and fill me up (student living, eh?) but it would go great with potatoes, or even a side salad if you’re trying to stick to healthy eating.
The sauce/marinade may seem very fiery, but remember that you’re cooking out the garlic and chillies so it will mellow by the end. In any case, I encourage you to change around the amounts of ingredients to suit your taste.
Here we go!
- 6 chicken thighs, skin on (to retain the moisture)
- 3 courgettes
- 3 onions
- 2 tbsp honey
- 8 tbsp soy sauce
- 6 tbsp vegetable oil
- 2 tbsp water
- 3 chillies (medium heat)
- 4 cloves garlic
- generous chunk ginger
(serves 3 w/out sides)(serves 6 with extra sides)
- In a bowl, mix together all your ingredients for the marinade until combined: honey, soy sauce, veg oil, water, finely sliced chillies, finely sliced garlic and grated/finely sliced ginger.
- Chunk up the onions and courgettes to about an inch or so cubed. Put your chicken thighs in a large plastic container or a large ziploc bag with the onions and courgettes (I actually didn’t have room for the courgettes so I just added them to the tray afterwards) and pour in the marinade mixture. Ensure all the chicken and vegetables are coated with the mixture, and leave to marinate for a few hours, or even better, over night.
- Set up your oven to 200C fan, and, once at temperature, throw your chicken & veg in a tray (with the chicken resting on top of the veg) and bung that into the oven. Bake for approximately 40 minutes, or until your chicken is nicely golden on top.
- Serve up and enjoy! Feel free to add any sides of your choice to this dish 🙂