This has got to be one of the tastiest, quickest dips to make and has quickly become one of my favourites. Plus, everything is green and therefore by the laws of All Things Green it must be healthy too!
This one’s a nice alternative to guacamole, or when you can’t be bothered to wait for your avocados to get to that perfect squishy consistency; a slightly under-ripe avocado will provide a smooth but firm(ish) layer of texture in this salsa.
I would estimate it serves around 4, or perhaps more if people really are only nibbling.
- 2 avocados
- 1/2 cucumber
- 2 spring onions
- bunch coriander leaves
- 1 large clove garlic
- 1/2 lemon’s juice
(lime would work well too)
- olive oil
- Chunk up your avocado flesh into thumbnail-sized cubes. Pop them into a big-ish bowl. (I highly recommend skinning and de-stoning your avocado beforehand.) If you’re planning on keeping/storing this salsa for some time before you eat it, then hold onto the stones!
- Split your cucumber in half length-ways, grab a teaspoon and scrape out the watery flesh and seeds in the centre. (You can keep this in if you really want, I just prefer something a little less watery, and this way, you really get to appreciate that fresh crunch.) Go ahead and chunk up the cucumber too, the same size or smaller than your avo, then throw that into the bowl.
- Finely slice the spring onions. Add to bowl.
- Mince the garlic. Guess what? Add that to the bowl too.
- Now’s the time to dress your salsa: roughly chop and add the coriander, squeeze in the lemon, drizzle over some olive oil and season with salt and pepper.
- Taste! (Tasting is so essential if you want to end up with something halfway decent) Adjust to your preferences, I’m not gonna hold you back; throw in that extra glug of olive oil, squeeze of lemon, or coriander leaves – whatever you want! Once your happy, eat it because it’s delicious 🙂 Oh, and if you’re storing it, remember those avocado stones you held back? Throw them in there with the salsa, cover in clingfilm, and pop in the fridge – it just saves the avo from going black too quickly.